Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lace and post-Christmas knitting

Phew. Now that Christmas is over, I can finally knit for myself. Trust me, I have taken advantage of this fact.

I call these my Fibonacci Gloves. This is because I decided the stripe placement based upon the Fibonacci numbers and all that jazz. I got the base pattern from Sweaterscapes. It was opera glove length but I wanted gloves soon and I didn't have enough yarn to do them that long. I knit the turquoise one first and then discovered I didn't have enough yarn to do the second one in the same way, so I inverted the colors. I like it because it looks neat and I can always tell which is the right and which is left. I used more Filatura Zara yarn from Italy on them because they were good small projects. I used under two balls (one for each color). I also used the smallest needles I have ever used, US 3, and didn't go insane like I thought I would.



My next show and tell is the socks I knit for my stepmom's birthday. I finally can post them because I just gave them to her (she's wearing them now!). These were my first lace socks and my first time using sock weight yarn. Once again, I used the Universal Toe Up sock pattern from Knitty. If you can't see, it has a lace panel up the foot and then all over lace on the leg. This was Sisu Maskinvaskbar sock yarn in this pretty bright pink color as you can see. I got the lace pattern from Interweave Knits Holiday Issue in the Boudoir Socks Pattern. These inadvertently look very similar to them, and I didn't realize until I was well in that they look the same. I find that this happens frequently. Let's see, I used US 3 needles again and did the top ribbing in US 2.5.


This next FO is actually not in this state anymore. I frogged it because I wanted to do something else with the yarn because I discovered another ball of it. I bought it in Firenze last year and have no clue what its called or who made it (one of the few unidentified ones in my stash), but its gorgeous. I just wanted to post it because the yarn is so pretty.























This is an older project that I made for my mum's birthday in November. They are Urban Necessities from Magknits. I knit them up in Cascade 220 and omitted the pattern on the flap because I was knitting these on a bus and couldn't exactly sit and decipher charts. I really like the pattern and have another pair in the works that was abandoned as Christmas knitting took precedence. I did them on what I thought were US 6 needles but turned out to be US 8, yet they still came out perfectly.








Well, I'm off to knit on my socks (finally some for myself!). I'll post when I finish them.


Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home